How can you have a sales conversation that is authentic and leaves you walking away feeling your time was spent supporting someone, not just selling?
Earlier, I shared the 6 essentials to starting a thriving wellness business, and one of those essentials is to be able to sell your services. As a health and wellness professional, the last thing you really want to do is ‘sell’ anything! It keeps coming up for you that you’re not in this for the money, and it just feels WRONG for you to appear that way!
However, if you don’t make money, how are you going to change the health of the world? Did you realize that the more money you make, the larger the reach you can have? And the larger the reach you have, the more you can change the health of the world. Also, the more money you make, the more you’re able to volunteer and donate to causes that provide you with purpose and fulfillment.
In business school, I learned about something called “pull” marketing, as opposed to “push” marketing. It’s the “push” marketing that makes us all uncomfortable. You know: When someone is in your face, trying to sell you something. Examples are the car salesmen who jump at you like vultures as soon as you enter the lot and won’t let you go. Or the insurance salesman who only focuses on how he can get you to sign up with him.
Or they guy who calls you and won’t take no for an answer, who you literally have to hang up on in order to get away from.
That is NOT what you want to do, I know!
Now, “pull” marketing has a whole different feel. Yet there is still a strategy for it. Instead of pushing what you have to offer, you ask very specific questions so that the person you’re talking to can see where they are and what it is they need. It completes the conversation with both of you feeling good and the person feeling they were listened to.
How should you plan your “pull” marketing conversation, so people see you as the solution to their problems?
- When talking to a potential client, ask them a lot of questions. Put all the focus on them, not on you and what you have to offer. What usually happens is when someone calls you, you instantly start thinking about yourself and “will they hire me?” instead of putting the focus on them. Then you wonder why they don’t schedule an appointment!
- Find out what their present situation is. Have them describe it thoroughly enough so you have a very clear picture. What is life like for them? What are they struggling with? What led them to call you? What has prevented them from solving their problem earlier?
- Ask them to describe what an ideal situation would be for them. If there were no impediments to their success, what would it look like for them? What is the big wish? What would their ideal look like to them, as if they had a fairy godmother or a genie.
- Once they’ve discussed their big wish, ask them to explain what keeps getting in their way. Get into details here; don’t let them glaze over it. Ask them about day-to-day struggles and beliefs that continue to hold them back.
- Now have them tell you, in detail, what life will look like if they never resolve their problem! Keep asking them questions to find out how it will impact their life, their family life, their friends, and all the things they like to do. How will they feel, what could be the consequences of never solving that problem?
- Once they’ve explained where they’re at, what they’d like, what gets in their way and what life will look like if it continues to get in their way, ask them what about your conversation has been most helpful to them so far. You’ll be amazed at what they say!
- You can now tell them you have a program that is designed to solve their problems. Your last question is to ask if they’d like to hear about it. It doesn’t matter that they are talking to you to LEARN about what you have to offer! This is the big key to turning the “push” into the “pull.”
Now you’re ready to share with them how your services can help them solve their problems.
Next time, I’ll share how to use the “pull” marketing concept in a promotional email, that will entice people to contact you as a result.
For now, put your script together and plan for your first marketing conversations, so you can start growing your business, today!
MEG Enterprises, Inc.
Do you struggle with marketing conversations? Or maybe you’re not clear who you’re marketing to, yet! Or, do need help to start your business? Take advantage of the Memorial Day sale and get 40% off all products through Monday, May 28, by using the code “MEM2012”